Sunday, January 15, 2017

Compassion Fatigue

Reading through the signs of burnout in Psychology Today I realized I'm pretty washed out, have been for a wee while...and waking up this morning realizing I don't have the slightest inclination to dance and don't seem to hear/feel the music any more has been weird. Perhaps it's the strain of helping Sherlock settle in and calm down, the stress of his overexcited barking which he heroically tries to control, but which he is still not quite able to suppress when he's happy. While the varied joyous events of the day like food, treats and walkies are plentiful, the barking is also still rather plentiful. Now he's settling down, though, I guess I can relax a bit more and realize how tiring it has all been.

I am of course very good at disguising it, but there's no denying it, I'm in a rip tide. Fortunately the universe via FB sent me a fantastic helpful article, Be Well, Do Good, on how to rest well and restore myself: of course I pray, I am juicing, having aroma-oil baths and seeing a massage therapist, but finding these sagacious tips has been quite serendipitous.

  1. Use TV/YouTube with discrepancy...as with a good book, I get voracious and devour episode after episode, which actually leaves me more tired and headache-prone than before. Noticing eye-strain and switching off has got to be one of my resolutions this year.
  2. Enjoy reading magazines or light reading. Hmmm, wonder if I should subscribe to National Geographic...recycling the paper seems like too much effort, but rereading books I enjoyed and looking at my old knitting magazines without feeling I have to act may be a good thing to try.
  3. I'm going to set up a list of things I'm looking forward to this year: reading over the blog here is my way of savoring and refreshing myself, giving thanks for all the wonderful outings and walkies over the years, but indeed, a gently forward-looking bent may be a good idea now I'm so flat.
  4. Using senses to stay present is what I love, choosing color and fabrics to wear every morning, loving the smell of cinammon and ginger in my tea...
  5. Stretching so you don't snap: I guess the dancing is about drawing yourself up and extending your aura, being powerful, strong and beautiful, but right now I just need to gently feel where my body is at and soothe the aches...wonder if I can find a friendly yoga course close by.
  6. And say no to things, invitations, requests, social events I'm not really interested in, say no to helping out, even say no to the extra doggie event, like the ebbing tide, pulling back to recharge batteries and get ready for a fresh wave of love and life.
Photos by Lelantos

No comments:

Post a Comment